Tuesday, May 8, 2007

That is it

I had my last final exam today, and that is it. No more undergrad. It's over. Fin, done, CYA FUCKING LATER.

I'm note sure how to feel about it, if I should feel anything about it. I'm not really looking forward to the graduation ceremony because I hate ceremonies in general. It is difficult to act excited for me, and I'm not really excited about graduation. Moving? Sure, thats exciting, that's interesting. Getting a diploma, however, is not.

Not to mention the heat is going to be sweltering in those black robes.

I've been preparing a few stories to send out after the move. I'm not sure how this is going to go. I've never sent my stuff away to be published except for the campus literary journals, which are far less formal and intimidating. All the creative writer professors at some point have given the students their obligatory 'It sucks' speech, in which they try to introduce us to the fact that most journals get 10 or 20 or 50 times as many submissions as they'll ever publish. And there is another small catch - virtually none of the journals a starting writer can submit to pay. Oh well. It's not like I thought I was going to graduate and write as a career. But sheer mass of submitting is overbearing. Sending out manuscripts to 50 journals in the hope you'll get a hit is not going to be fun. I like writing less than organizing what I've written.

But, it must be done!

I've also been thinking about making a zine. I don't know about what. And I don't think it is important what. I just feel like it would be a good creative project for me to embark on and eventually finish. It would give me something in my hands that I've made from start to finish. And I'm sure as I populate it with meager content and attempt to make it not look like shit I'd learn a few skills. I've been pretty impressed by some of the zines in the library. There is something instantly interesting about them. Perhaps its the fact that a zine can, like a magazine, be picked up, read, and put down - you don't even have to look at it again, ever. But chances are that in that 5 minute timespan you have read a story that you'll remember.

And Portland has tons of zine resources. This is why I wanted to move to Portland. They have everything I could ever want.

Okay, thats all.

No comments: