Wednesday, May 2, 2007

You're telling me things

I wrote something.

Some people hated it.

Some people loved it.

What the fuck am I supposed to do with it?

I have this story called "Home Movie" which I wrote a few weeks ago and submitted to the campus student-run journals. They both published it, and I've recieved a few comments on it. However, I also shared the story on a creative writing forum where the promptedly tore it apart. I have to admit, I found their critques rather stupid - they appeared unable to comprehend what I'd written. Still, having all these different responses to something I've written, espically when opinions are so extreme, makes it heard to judge what I should do with it. If anything.

It's always judge to something you've done. Bias is obvious. In the five years since I first wrote a story I've been convinced that what I just made was the greatest thing I've ever done. Of course, a few weeks later when I've written something else, I suddenly become disappointed by what I'd previously written. Which tells me I need to practice more.

Lately, though, I haven't felt that. Which I think may mean I'm reading to start sending shit out to publishers so I can try and get something published in a FOR REAL literary journal. Not that I'm going to get paid for it or anything, but it's helpful for later one when I write my Great American Novel - you have to build street cred, right?

Maybe not. As I said in my first post on this blog, I don't my choice of career intersecting with my writing. Do I really want to come to a point where writing would be my JOB? Where I sit home all day and type?

I don't know - what would I write about?

No comments: