Tuesday, June 19, 2007

You Scoundral!

So I started working at my part-time temp. job Monday. Saying I do writing would be, well, a lie. Most of what I do would be far better described as Data Entry, that which isn't Data Entry would be best described as copying shit. That's fine by me. Writing isn't something I want to do as a 9-5 career, it's merely something I'm good at and therefor probably able to make more money at. Writing business plans is not something I have any innate concern for. It's only the money people might pay me to do that sort of writing which is exciting. But anyway, my new part-time job at Wells Fargo isn't to complex so far, but it does have it's entertaining moments. It's a decent enough environment, and I wouldn't mind be hired into it permanently, but it's far from clear if that will happen.

I'm working with Customer Correspondence, which is a fancy way of saying Customer Service, and though I'm not doing any actual customer service, I do get to see all the shit people mail in. A lot of stuff is Date-of-Death balance inquires, which are basically inquires into how much money a dead relative has left them. These are sorta interesting because they include a death certificate which tells how a person died. Turns out, everyone dies of natural causes these days - not even accidents are something to worry about. It's also interesting to see the occasional millionaire, and wonder if the surviving relatives know just how much they're about to get.

By far more interesting, though, are the complaints people send in. Most of them are mundane, and concern nothing more than overdraft charges which appear to have been resolved by the company without much further problem, though some people seem snubbed by the idea, as if Well Fargo was their close friend and went to a dance party without telling them, much less inviting them. We also get mail from prisoners that need to do something to their account, and these letters are, surprisingly, very apologetic about the whole ordeal.

Some, however, are truly amazing. There seems to be a patriotic theme among certain customers - that is to say, these customers are not only angry that Wells Fargo has performed a certain action, but they have had their sense of nation offended. These customers go on rants that have been spiced up with patriotic language, and they insist that Wells Fargo's particular offense against them is part of what is wrong with America today. One guy even said, and quote, "...it is scoundrels like you who tear at the fabric of our great nation". Indeed! I guess dubs has it wrong - we don't need a war on terror, rather, we need a war on banks. But that's not the best of it. The best of it was undoubtedly a sue-happy patriot who began his complaint by detailing how hard he was going to sue Wells Fargo (really, really hard). He then listed a number of evils which Wells Fargo has committed, combined with some demands concerning various amounts of cash he felt needed to be given or returned to him. Then comes the big, fat cherry on top of this compliant sundae - he insists that he is going to call Bill O'Reilly because "He goes after the big guys for the little guys", and then he declares that if Bill O'Reilly doesn'tcome after Wells Fargo on his show, he is going to sue Bill O'Reilly for false advertisement! I wanted so badly to bust out laughing at that one, but I had to maintain my composure.

I post any other notable stories I have from the place.

Oh, guess what? We got another kitten, for our max of two pets per apartment (not that I'd want anymore). She doesn't have a name yet, but I'll post pictures soon.

No comments: